• 5 lamb shanks (cut in half)
• 4 parsnips, cut into large dice
• 2 carrots, cut into large dice
• 2 stalks celery, cut into large dice
• 1 small suede, cut into large dice
• 6 tomatoes, cut into chunks
• 2 Tblspns ras el hanout
• 2 cinnamon sticks
• 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
• 2 inch piece ginger, roughly chopped
• coriander/parsley, to garnish
• 1 onion, diced
• 2 chillies
• 4 bay leaves
• 5 sprigs thyme
• pinch of saffron
• 500g white beans
Cook the white beans on a gentle simmer with bay leaves, thyme & 2 litres of water. Cook until tender and set aside. You may need to top up with water and reserve the liquid.
In a cast iron pot heat a little oil and sear the lamb shanks and season with salt and pepper. Set aside. Add the garlic,
ginger, onion and vegetables except the tomatoes & sauté for a few minutes.
Add the chillies, cinnamon, ras el hanout, saffron, lamb, tomatoes and season with salt. Cover with water or bean cooking liquid & simmer for about 2 hours until the lamb is tender. Add the beans and garnish with fresh coriander and parsley.